Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Writing Process

My Writing Process

1. Of the four types of writers that Dr. Lisa Ede has noted, I would consider myself a sequential composer. As I have progressed in my college degree, I have learned that making outlines and jotting down all ideas is what works best with me and my writing process. As mentioned in the reading, I tend to rely on written notes; jotting down simple things like key words or phrases that I want to integrate to whole paragraphs. I work paragraph by paragraph although not in any type of order. I also tend to work on paragraphs that I feel more comfortable with initially and then dedicate time later on to those that I am not as confident about.
2. I believe that I used to possess more of the writing qualities and processes described under the procrastinator category but as I have mentioned previously, over the years, I have gravitated more towards the "sequential composer" method.
3. I think that overall my writing process is successful. I am able to start off with many ideas and narrow those down to what it is I'm trying to get across. However, I believe that there are also some notable weaknesses with the process, the first being that I tend to feel pressured to include all of the ideas and thoughts I have written down. In a sense, I can tend to dedicate too much time on the planning stage that could be used elsewhere.
4. At this point, I believe that there are times where you have to tailor your approach based on the situation at hand. So naturally, I will not always have the option to write under the process of a sequential composer. Being able to adapt to different writing processes is important. Therefore, I do believe that it may be beneficial to try different approaches from time to time because if my method fails, I have an alternative approach.

McPhee, Nic. "Editing a Paper" January 26, 2008 via Flickr. Creative Commons Public License. 

1 comment:

  1. All that outlining and planning is really beneficial for reflecting back on the process when you're at the end of a big project. So many professional environments are built upon the process of self-reflection - it's an invaluable skill to be able reflect both critically and constructively on your own work.

    ReplyDelete